Please update your Flash Player to view content.

ABOUT US

The cemetery and The Historic Mausoleum operate as part of Old Mission Santa Barbara under specific cemetery management.  The Director of Cemetery Operations works with the Cemetery Oversight Board to assure the ongoing functions of The Historic Mausoleum and cemetery are consistent with its vision and the mission of Old Mission Santa Barbara.  The Historic Mausoleum has been an integral part of the cemetery at the Mission from the beginning. The cemetery began as part of the essential mission operations in 1789, and the first part of the mausoleum was constructed to hold the remains of several of the pioneer Franciscan friars, such as Fr. Joseph O’Keefe, O.F.M. (1842-1915), who is credited as being the link between the end of the mission period and the beginning of modern times.

Over the years, the cemetery and the mausoleum have served as an important connection to the Santa Barbara area and the people who worked to establish and build this community.  We are committed to maintaining these traditions and to continuing the friars’ important ministry to the dead, as it has for more than 225 years.